Hello MiniApp Community!
Today we are pleased to announce the upcoming release to the Platform, version 3.0.0. We have some very exciting changes coming that follow our recent changes in version 2.4.
Most of you have been interacting with the platform via the Mini App Console to manage the versions and publishing of your MiniApp. Today we're introducing Mini App Management. Unlike the console, MiniApp Management is chiefly for Host Applications. However, there are plenty of very important changes for the console as well.
Changes to the Publishing Process
The publishing process has been greatly simplified. As current users know, you needed to request the support of the MAP team directly to ensure your published versions appeared in Host Apps such as Link. With the new process, this step is removed. Instead, you will go through a two step process of submitting your version for approval by the Host App, followed by self-publishing at your discretion.
Old MiniApp Publishing Process
New MiniApp Publishing Process
What's new in the MiniApp Console
You will notice several changes to the MiniApp Console. For a start, in the upper right corner of the panel, you will find a prompt to select your Host App.
Select the Host App you wish to publish to from the drop down and click Save, and then confirm.
Be sure to select the correct Host App. You may not change this once it is set. If you need to publish to a new Host App, please create a MiniApp.
When your version is ready to review by a Host App, you may submit it to the Host App. At this point, the Host App may preview your MiniApp using the changes introduced in our previous update. Once the Host App has reviewed your MiniApp, they will either approve or reject the version, and the state for your version will update to reflect that decision.
If you wish to cancel your submission before it is reviewed, you may do so by clicking cancel.
For approved versions, you may now publish the version. Published versions will be available to the Host App directly without any additional intervention.
Along with these changes, there are several other things of which you should take note.
- We no longer support republishing of versions that have been unpublished. A version may be published once. To republish the same codebase, it must be resubmitted and approved by the Host App.
- Host Apps may now remove your published application. These will appear in your list as "Unpublished by host admin"
- Host Apps may revoke approval before you publish your version after approval is given. These will appear in your list as "Revoked"
- You may only have one version submitted for approval at a time. If you submit a new version, the previously submitted version will appear in your list as "Abandoned"
- You may only have one approved version at a time. If another version is approved before you publish a previously approved version, it will appear in your list as "Abandoned"
Mini App Management
To support the self-service and approval flow outlined in the diagrams above, we are introducing MiniApp Management. MiniApp Management can be found in each project in Rakuten App Studio. With this new feature, Host Apps can see the MiniApps that are linked to their Host App. Host Apps can filter by state, approve or deny publishing requests, cancel approvals, and even remove currently published MiniApps if needed.
To start using MiniApp Management as a new Host, you must register to be a Host App within RAS. Each registered Host App will be available to MiniApps as a target Host App.
As a Host App, you can using the previewing feature from our previous update to preview versions that have been submitted for approval, have been approved, or are currently published.
The MiniApp Management feature is available for all Projects in RAS. When you open your project in RAS, you will find the feature in the left navigation just above the list of Applications.
Note: Final version will not include "(DEV)"
For MiniApp Management
- Improvements to Host App registration, including custom names.
- UI Updates to MiniApp Management to reflect more states & simplify navigation
- Totals for each state in MiniApp Management to make it clearer how many actions you need to take
- Email notifications for new MiniApp approval requests to all Project Admins & Editors
For MiniApp Console
- Improved MiniApp Creation
- Draft & Editable MiniApps
- Archiving old versions
If you have questions or feedback
We are happy to assist you! Please visit Zendesk to ask your questions.
Please note that during the release of platform v3.0.0, the MAP UI in RAS will be unavailable for up to 2 hours.